The earliest Methodist Chapel in Neston was in Parkgate Road, built in 1762, and where John Wesley once preached. Wesley was a frequent visitor to Neston, and sailed from Parkgate on his trips to Ireland. The congregation of the Parkgate Road chapel were Wesleyan Methodists. In the early 19th century divisions arose, and the Primitive Methodists began meeting in various places in Little Neston, and at the cottage of Samuel Mealor in Ness. In 1872 the Primitive Methodist congregation built Zion Chapel, which became the current Little Neston Methodist Church.
Meanwhile a Mission Hall was erected on the site of the current Neston Methodist Church, by Captain H.J. Ward, a wealthy local tugboat owner. Following Ward's death this fell into disuse, and was bought by the Wesleyan Methodists. The current church was built on this site, the foundation stone was layed by Lady Lever, and the church opened in 1908.
In 1996 the South Wirral Circuit of the Methodist Church began to seek a new vision for Neston Methodist Church in the sharing of the love of Jesus Christ with the surrounding community. Cheshire County Council, Age Concern and the Church formed a partnership called "Project 99" in order to provide a multi-use facility, particularly for the older people of the town. The Age Concern "Drop In" was moved from the Town Hall to the new centre, and a number of community rooms were provided.The church itself was remodeled, the original entrance was blocked and the altar moved to the opposite end of the church.
The Church now runs the Welcome Café , although Age UK (formerly Age Concern) continue to run their Neston office from the church. The centre is home to the popular Teapot club, Neston Community Cyber Centre, and a number of other community activities.
Further Reading: Neston 1840 - 1940, by Geoffrey W. Place, Burton and South Wirral History Society, 1996